IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES (IHSS) PROGRAM
The IHSS Program will help pay for services provided to you so that you can remain safely in your own home.
To be eligible, you must be over 65 years of age, or disabled, or blind. Get more detail on IHSS website for eligibility. Disabled children are also potentially eligible for IHSS. Our webpage on Share of Cost – Medically Needy. If you have too much income…
IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.
The types of services which can be authorized through IHSS are
- meal preparation,
- grocery shopping,
- personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), ADL
- accompaniment to medical appointments, and
- protective supervision for the mentally impaired.
ARPA COVID Stimulus March 2021
The Home and Community-Based Alternatives (HCBA) Waiver allows Medi-Cal beneficiaries with high-level care needs to continue to live at home or in the community by identifying and ensuring they receive services that will sustain their health and safety outside of an institution. Learn More
Links & Resources
Is the income to the caregiver taxable?
IHSS Timesheet Issues/Questions:
IHSS Service Desk for Providers & Recipients, (866) 376-7066
IHSS Fraud Hotline: 888-717-8302
Help Stop Medi-Cal Fraud and Abuse
Provider Fraud and Elder Abuse complaint line:
Our main web page on Long Term Care
- Resources on our websites - mentioned in the pamphlet
- Get Quote - Proposal for Long Term Care
- Borden Hamman Long Term Planning Guide
- Our webpages on
Caretakers & Parents
Get a term life quote here, to protect your loved one
The Aged & Disabled Medi-Cal program uses SSI countable income rules as well as a few extra rules you should know. For more information, visit or webpage on the SSI program, the Medi-Cal section of the Disability Benefits 101 website. CA Health Care Advocates Archive
Countable resources are the things you own that count toward the resource limit. Many things you own do not count.
- Have less than $2,000 in Countable assets for an individual ($3,000 for a couple).
- Have less than $1,271 - 123% of FPL in countable monthly income for an individual ($1,719 for a couple). ca health advocates.org ADFPL * AB 715 Fact Sheet * Western Poverty Law *
- Share of Cost if income is too high, but you qualify on asset test?
SSI-Related Programs & Coverage Groups
Income & Assets Chart
Our web pages on:
- Aged and Disabled Federal Poverty Level Program
- IHSS In Home Supportive Services
- Part B Medicare Premium paid by Medi Cal
- Share of Cost – What is it?
- Social Security Disability – SSDI
- SSI – Supplemental Security Benefits – Automatic Medi Cal
- Part D Rx Low Income Subsidy – LIS – Extra Help
- Hospice Coverage – Medicare
- Medi Cal Explained CHCF
- 10 Essential Health Benefits
- Our Webpage on Medi & Denti Cal Benefits
- Western Poverty Law - Exact Legal Rules on Coverage for Low Income Californian's
Our Webpage on
ObamaCare - Expansion to 138% of FPL