Financials & Business Planning
Enroll and get quotes with Oscar - No extra charge for broker support
Oscar has announced plans to expand to 14 markets across nine states in 2019, pending regulatory approval. This decision reflects the continued strength of their business model and confidence in our ability to effectively scale with our consumer-focused, technology-driven approach in the individual market. Pending regulatory approval, their new 2019 markets will include new states (Michigan, Florida, and Arizona) and new metro areas within existing states (Ohio, Texas, and Tennessee). You can learn more in their blog post, by checking out the recent press coverage, or by reading our highlights below: Recent press coverage:
- CNBC: Oscar Health doubles down on Obamacare exchanges for 2019
- Reuters: Oscar to expand individual health insurance to more states
- Forbes – Obamacare/ACA expansion boosts enrollment 3.1.2019
- 2018 Year end report
- All new plans will include Oscar’s core benefits, such as 24/7 telemedicine, a dedicated Concierge Team, and access to an integrated network of excellent hospital systems. We will share more details about these new plans, including our in-network provider partners, and our specific geographic service areas once they are approved.
- This marks the second year in a row that Oscar has expanded its footprint significantly, which reflects the continued strength of our business model. After growing our membership in 2018 by 250% to 240,000 enrollments, we’re confident that we’ve built a successful, replicable playbook that attracts members and builds market share for our provider partners in selective networks.
Top FAQs about Oscar:
What makes you different?
We founded Oscar to meet the challenges of an old health care system in order to give Americans the affordable, quality health care they deserve. We are a new kind of health insurance company. Today, we drive the highest levels of engagement in health care, helping our members take charge of their health by using data, technology and personalized care across our system. To learn more about what makes Oscar different, check out our deep dive report.
Is Oscar financially stable?
Oscar Health has raised over $1billion to date and we are on track to generate $1billion in revenue in 2018. Our investors can see that we have a playbook for securing good unit costs, engaging members, and driving market share with health system partners that we can replicate across the country. In 2019 our expansion plans include 3 new states and 6 new cities. We are poised for growth.
Who’s a good fit for Oscar?
Here at Oscar, we build tools for the whole family to use – like our Concierge service which is loved by all, and most highly utilized by our members who are over 55 years old. With tools for all of our members, we can help them better understand their plans, find the right provider, and ultimately drive down costs while increasing quality of care.
Oscar has raised $165 million to deepen the investment in their technology platform and accelerate expansion. It’s a strong vote of confidence that we’re on to something great, and we’re eager to bring Oscar to new markets and more members. learn more
Oscar Blog Post: Our Next Phase of Growth
CNBC: Oscar Health raises $165 million from Alphabet and others
Forbes: Oscar Health Raises $165M For Multi-City Obamacare Expansion
- Our funding round was led by Brian Singerman and Founders Fund, who have been a major supporter of our efforts since day one, as well as returning industry leaders including Google, Fidelity, and General Catalyst.
- This is a significant vote of confidence in our roadmap — investors can see that we have a playbook for securing good unit costs, engaging members, and driving market share with health system partners that we can replicate across the country, at 4-5 cities every year.
- This capital will allow Oscar to continue investing in the infrastructure, technology, and people that are critical to realizing our vision of lowering health care costs, delivering better care, and increasing member happiness.
Market Share increase via Narrow Networks.
Oscar began shifting its strategy toward relying on narrow networks in 2016, when it announced that it would cut its New York provider network in half in 2017, removing some major health systems in the state to get a handle on its costs and improve the efficiency of its operations. About two-thirds of members opted to stay with Oscar after it narrowed its network. The altered strategy has helped financially. Its historically high administrative costs have come down by a double-digit percentage, Oscar CEO Mario Schlosser told Modern Healthcare in a recent interview. Its medical loss ratio, which represents the percentage of premiums spent on medical care and quality improvement activities, has far exceeded that of veteran insurance companies, at 95% in 2017, but it’s come down from over 120% in 2016. Modern Health Care 2.6.2018
Oscar has recently partnered with multinational insurer AXA! It’s a great indicator of Oscar’s solid financials, and we’re excited to continue to grow. You can learn more by reading about it here, or by following along in the notes below: Why did Oscar pursue a quota share deal with AXA?
- All health insurers are required to hold a certain percentage of its premiums as “reserves” so that regulators can ensure that carriers have enough money to pay their future claims.
- With the AXA deal, Oscar will cede 50% of it’s premiums/claims to AXA, which will free up 50% of its capital requirements
- We expect that the deal will free up nearly $100 million in capital over the next few years, providing capital relief as we continue to grow
I’m also thrilled to report that we’ve enrolled over 250k members across six states, and expect to generate $1 billion in revenue in 2018. Learn more below:
- Oscar Health expects to generate $1 billion in revenue and sign up 250,000 members in 2018 (TechCrunch)
- Oscar Health CEO: We are shaking up the health care system. Here’s how (CNBC Squawk Box)
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
Quote & Subsidy Calculation
Missed Open Enrollment?
See our Special Enrollment page
No charge for our complementary services
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage.
Learn more about the right to change plans when Silver Level Enhanced Changes
To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335
Covered CA Certified Agent
No extra charge for complementary assistance
Appoint us as your broker
Set Consultation Meeting via Phone, Skype or Face to Face
Instant Health Quotes & Enroll
including subsidy calculation
Video on how great agents are
Enrolling in health plans through Covered California has helped people focus on their families and careers, and feel protected against unexpected medical issues.