- The law relates to payments under a divorce or separation agreement. This includes:
- Divorce decrees.
- Separate maintenance decrees.
- Written separation agreements.
- In general, if you makes payments to a spouse or former spouse you can deduct it on your tax return. The taxpayer who receives the payments is required to include it in their income.
- Beginning Jan. 1, 2019, alimony or separate maintenance payments are not deductible from the income of the payer spouse, or includable in the income of the receiving spouse, if made under a divorce or separation agreement executed after Dec. 31, 2018.
- If an agreement was executed on or before Dec. 31, 2018 and then modified after that date, the new law also applies. The new law applies if the modification does these two things:
- It changes the terms of the alimony or separate maintenance payments.
- It specifically says that alimony or separate maintenance payments are not deductible by the payer spouse or includable in the income of the receiving spouse.
- Agreements executed on or before Dec. 31, 2018 follow the previous rules. If an agreement was modified after that date, the agreement still follows the previous law as long as the modifications don’t do what’s described above.
- Community Property – Publication 555
- CA Court Self Help Website – Divorce
- Nolo - Child Support & Custody
- Automatic Restraining Orders prohibiting changing insurance once divorce is filed fl 110
- Part I Additional Income
- 2a Alimony received
- 3 Business income or (loss). Attach Schedule C
- Get Health Quote for your business
- 5 Rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, trusts, etc. Attach Schedule E
- 7 Unemployment compensation
- 8 Other income:
- Part II Adjustments to Income
- 11 Educator expenses
- 13 Health savings account deduction. Attach Form 8889
- 15 Deductible part of self-employment tax. Attach Schedule SE
- Learn more about your Social Security Benefits
- 16 Self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, and qualified plans -
- 17 Self-employed health insurance deduction
- 19a Alimony paid
- 20 IRA Individual Retirement Account deduction
- 21 Student loan interest deduction
All our plans are Guaranteed Issue with No Pre X Clause
Quote & Subsidy Calculation
There is No charge for our complementary services
Our Quote Engine Takes all the complexity out of using pencil and paper to figure out the premiums per the Obamacare/ACA rules under CFR §1.36B-3 *
No extra charge for complementary assistance
- Appoint us as your broker
- VIDEO on ARPA Stimulus and more Covered CA Subsidies
- Set Consultation Meeting via Phone, Skype or Zoom
- Get Instant Health Quotes, Subsidy Calculation & Enroll
- Videos on how great agents are
- I'm in Sonia VIDEO
Child & Related Pages
CA Court Website on Alimony – Spousal Support
- VIDEO What is APTC Advance Premium Tax Credit
- Health Net VIDEO How to get subsidies – pay less for coverage
- Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA)
- Am I eligible to claim the Premium Tax Credit?
- IRS FAQ on Premium Tax Credit
- Learn More About Your Health Insurance Tax Documents | Covered California VIDEO
- turbo tax.com - FREE for simple returns
- H & R Block
- E file.com
- Estimate the Subsidy for Health Insurance, benefits, premiums, etc.
- 8962 ONLINE Calculator
- Tax Form Calculator.com
- e tax.com
- Marriage Higher or Lower Taxes?
- IRS Withholding Calculator