Caretakers & Parents
Get a term life quote here, to protect your loved one
Resources & Links for Mental Illness
primarily in South Bay area of Los Angeles
free or reduced cost services like medical care, food, job training, and more.
free or reduced cost services like medical care, food, job training, and more.
California Corona Virus Response
- Get the latest information on COVID-19 including county data, stay at home order updates and essential resources at https://covid19.ca.gov
- Emergency food and food benefits Get help buying groceries with the NEW Pandemic EBT (or P-EBT) card: With schools closed due to COVID-19, children who are eligible for free or reduced-price meals can get up to $365 in food benefits. Families with children who are eligible for free or reduced-price meals AND do not participate in CalFresh, Medi-Cal, or Foster Care can apply starting May 22nd – June 30th. For more informationhttps://ca.p-ebt.org or : www.cdss.ca.gov/home/pandemic-ebt.
- California began allowing online food purchasing with EBT benefits! You may use your EBT card on Amazon and/or Walmart to purchase groceries. More retailers to be added in the future. For more information https://www.cdss.ca.gov/ebt-online
- Childcare for essential workers: New portal enables parents to enter their location and the type of care needed, instantly receiving a list of local center-based and family childcare programs. Available at covid19.ca.gov/childcare
- The “Meals for Kids” interactive map directs people to local sites where kids can get free meals. The map is available in both English and Spanish at www.fns.usda.gov/meals4kids.
Dial 2-1-1 from a cell phone or landline to get connected to local resources, it will ask for zip code and give a list of options.
We are in the process of updating this page. If you find any links that would be helpful to other website visitors, please put them in the comments section below.
(310) 892-8046 (310) 533-0705
Titles I and V of the ADA EEOC.Gov
The regulations 29 C.F.R Part 1630:1640: 1641:
Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
Medicare & Mental Health Benefits Publication # 10184
Board of Behavioral Services – State of CA
Court Services for mentally ill who get involved in Criminal Cases – Mental Health Court Linkage Program
Ventura County Guide to Medi-Cal Mental Health Services
HaMercaz A Community of Support for Families Raising Children with Special Needs The Federation’s HaMercaz program offers ongoing assistance, advocacy, and support for Jewish families and children with special needs and developmental disabilities such as autism spectrum disorder, Asperger syndrome, and cerebral palsy, from birth to age 22. Ha mercaz means “the center” in Hebrew.
- Resource Guide: Discover organizations and programs in L.A. that can help you and your family
- Young Adults 18+ (
Didi Hirsch – Warmline 855 952 9276 A warmline is a confidential overnight telephone support service for anyone who is struggling with loneliness, anxiety, substance use or other mental health concerns, or anyone who needs information about available mental health services. Mental Health & Homeless Outreach for Harbor Area – 1 page from San Pedro Mental Health
Homes For Life.org/ Los Angeles County HFLF is dedicated to establishing a network of permanent, affordable, service-enriched housing within the geographic boundaries of Los Angeles County for individuals who suffer from mental disabilities, those who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless.
Los Angeles Listing of Board & Care 37 pages pdf
Pacific Hospital in Long Beach
Patton State Hospital
River Community Hospital – Azusa, CA – Dual Diagnosis
Take the ADHD Assessment
How Much Do You know about ADHD?
Assess Your Depression
309.28 Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood
Panic Attack – ONLINE Support Group
What is Independent Living?
In order for an individual to be able to live on his own successfully, he will need to be able to take care of his personal needs – dressing, eating, hygiene – as well as manage simple household chores such as the laundry and grocery shopping. Decisions must also be made when dealing with financial matters such as paying bills and managing a bank account, tasks which a young adult with a mental disability may not have experience of but which are all necessary if he wants to live independently.
Mental Health America
Through research, many advances have been made in improving lives of people struggling with schizophrenia. This article puts it in perspective.
Coping With Stigma of Mental Illness
Though society is more accepting, mental illness can still carry a stigma. Here are steps to help you cope.
Schizophrenia Outlook: A Time for Hope
With new medications and research, this is a time for hope. Read about three predictors that help determine how well a person will do.
Schizophrenia Disability Laws
What Causes Psychotic Disorders?
The exact cause of psychotic disorders is not known, but researchers believe that many factors may play a role. Some psychotic disorders tend to run in families, suggesting that the tendency, or likelihood, to develop the disorder may be inherited. Environmental factors may also play a role in their development, including stress, drug abuse and major life changes.
These disorders most often first appear when a person is in his or her late teens, 20s or 30s.
Help for Drug Abuse & Mental Illness
Alternatives to 12 Step Programs
Chabad Rehab Center 323.965.1365 on Olympic between Fairfax & La Brea
The Ness Center.org The NESS Counseling Center, Inc. is a non-profit, non-sectarian community based outpatient counseling service agency that provides a full range of life enhancing services, including, but not limited to, individual and family counseling, drug and alcohol treatment (DEJ, PC1000 and PROP 36) programs, drug assessments and testing, paternity testing, parenting classes, monitored child, exchange and visitation, domestic violence/anger management group sessions, and hate crime educational classes in the greater Los Angeles area.
Narconon – Drug Rehab
CO-Anon Co-Anon Family Groups are a fellowship of men and women who are husbands, wives, parents, relatives or close friends of someone who is chemically dependent
Beacon House Association San Pedro, CA
Hospital List in South Bay
Medicare & You - Mental Health
Medicare & Mental Illness # 11358 2 pages
Our webpage on EOC Evidence of Coverage - Plain English, even if they are 2 to 300 pages
Mental Health Videos
- Mental Health Video - updates on Mental Health Parity - Mental Health must be covered the same as physical health
- Video Medicare-covered benefits for mental health.
- PBS Bedlam VIDEO In an effort to get to the bottom of the current mental health crisis in the U.S., psychiatrist and documentarian Kenneth Paul Rosenberg M.D. chronicles personal, poignant stories of those suffering from mental illness, including his own family, to bring to light this epidemic and possible solutions. Shot over the course of five years, Bedlam takes viewers inside Los Angeles County’s overwhelmed and vastly under-resourced psych ER, a nearby jail warehousing thousands of psychiatric patients, and the homes — and homeless encampments — of people affected by severe mental illness, where silence and shame often worsen the suffering. See Trailer Available till October 30th
- Sharp Health Care - Mental Health Videos - Play List
- Mental Health Insurance Coverage: Get the Whole Picture
See our Main Webpage on Mental Health
Medical, Mental & Educational Services
Jails & Prisons
Educational Opportunities for the Incarcerated
L.A. County Jail Education 86 pages
“If we never change criminal thinking, we will never change criminal behavior.”
You can print out this list of our inmate correspondence courses.
Warning: This information may not apply to your situation and it is NOT legal advice. Please talk to a lawyer about your case.
Cost increase in prisons – Health Care CA Health Line 1.7.2016
Twin Towers Los Angeles County
Latest Information on Prisoner Status
Inmate Medication Form
Mental Illness Information
More Mentally Ill in Jails than Hospitals E. Fuller Torrey MD 22 pages pdf
Criminalizing the seriously mentally ill Sidney Wolfe MD 12 pages pdf
Penal Code 4011 CA County Jails
Penal Code 4015 d – Cost to be borne by Private Medical Coverage if possible
CA Health Line Prisoners fail medical grade 12.23.2015
Mentally Ill Offender – Evaluation Form 14 Pages
Forensic Psychiciatry Web Site – Dr. Reid
the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Estelle v. Gamble [Wikipedia] that ignoring a prisoner’s serious medical needs can amount to cruel and unusual punishment, noting that “[a]n inmate must rely on prison authorities to treat his medical needs; if the authorities fail to do so, those needs ACLU
NAMI Blog on Prisons & Mental Illness
Child, Sibling & Related Pages
- Blame – Your fault or being scapegoated?
- Co Dependency
- FSP Full Service Partnership
- Lanterman – LPS – Conservatorship
- Laura’s Law – Court Mandated Mental Health Treatment
- Organizing, Hoarding, & Cluttering
Life Insurance Buyers Guide
How much life insurance you really need?
Life Screening Form