Caretakers & Parents
Get a term life quote here, to protect your loved one
as an essential benefit under Health Care Reform
Every qualified health plan (ObamaCare compliant-meeting the 10 essential benefits) must provide parity coverage for mental health and substance use services resulting in no added treatment limits and no extra costs.
Learn More ⇒
NAMI (National Assoc of Mental Illness) Website, Insurance & Health Care Reform Section
More than 43 million Americans suffer from depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions, according to the most recent federal data. But more than half the people who felt like they needed help last year, never got it. Even people who had insurance complained of barriers to care. Narrow Provider Lists? Some said they still couldn’t afford it; some were embarrassed to ask for help. Others just couldn’t get through the red tape.
Learn More ==>
Dealing with social & mental problems can cut health care costs CA Health Line 1.23.2017
Information, links and resources
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Mental Health Parity Act 1996 Wikipedia
Individual – Specimen Platimum EOC – Evidence of Coverage – search for “mental”
Jail not the place for the mentally ill aclu socal.org
Technical Links & Resources
42 USC 18022 (E) Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment.
CFR 156.115 (a) (3), – Provisions of Essential Health Benefits
2008 Final Rules (direct link broke – use DOL’s search feature)
Related & Child Pages in 10 Essential Benefits Section
- CA Mental Health Parity AB 88 (1999) & SB 855
- Resources – Mental Health
- Blame – Your fault or being scapegoated?
- Co Dependency
- FSP Full Service Partnership
- Lanterman – LPS – Conservatorship
- Laura’s Law – Court Mandated Mental Health Treatment
- Organizing, Hoarding, & Cluttering
Medicare & You - Mental Health
Medicare & Mental Illness # 11358 2 pages
Our webpage on EOC Evidence of Coverage - Plain English, even if they are 2 to 300 pages
Mental Health Videos
- Mental Health Video - updates on Mental Health Parity - Mental Health must be covered the same as physical health
- Video Medicare-covered benefits for mental health.
- PBS Bedlam VIDEO In an effort to get to the bottom of the current mental health crisis in the U.S., psychiatrist and documentarian Kenneth Paul Rosenberg M.D. chronicles personal, poignant stories of those suffering from mental illness, including his own family, to bring to light this epidemic and possible solutions. Shot over the course of five years, Bedlam takes viewers inside Los Angeles County’s overwhelmed and vastly under-resourced psych ER, a nearby jail warehousing thousands of psychiatric patients, and the homes — and homeless encampments — of people affected by severe mental illness, where silence and shame often worsen the suffering. See Trailer Available till October 30th
- Sharp Health Care - Mental Health Videos - Play List
- Mental Health Insurance Coverage: Get the Whole Picture
See our Main Webpage on Mental Health