LPS conservatorships are used to care for adults with serious mental health illnesses who need special care.
These conservatorships are used for people who usually need very restrictive living arrangements (like living in locked facilities) and require extensive mental health treatment (like very powerful drugs to control behavior). Welfare & Institutions Code 5000-et seq
Conservatees in LPS conservatorships cannot or will not agree to the special living arrangements or treatment on their own. LPS conservatorships must be started by a local government agency. courts.ca.gov
The Act in effect ended all hospital commitments by the judiciary system, except in the case of criminal sentencing, e.g., convicted sexual offenders, and those who were “gravely disabled“, defined as unable to obtain food, clothing, or housing CA Jury Instruction 2002 * psycheteria.org * [Conservatorship of Susan T.]. It did not, however, impede the right of voluntary commitments. It expanded the evaluative power of psychiatrists and created provisions and criteria for holds. Wiki Pedia
Consumer Resources & Links
Handout from NAMI Los Angeles Seminar March 2018
How to navigate CA Department of Mental Health Website
LPS Training Manual Los Angeles 60 Pages How to write a 5150 – 5585
California Welfare Institute Act 5358(Word Document) Conservatorship Litigation – Guide 33 pages
Probate Code 2591 Powers of Conservator
Court Notification of LPS Treatment (Word Document)
NAMI – Navigator Gail Evanguelidi 310-288-9749
Referrals to the Public Guardian’s Office are accepted only from mental health professionals designated to evaluate for both the grave disability (inability to provide for one’s basic personal needs for food, clothing or shelter) and the mental disorder
CANHR.org how to represent a conservatee 24 pages pdf
THE LANTERMAN-PETRIS-SHORT ACT WIC §5000 et seq
1-1977 Civil Commitment in California: Alan W. Tieger Michael A. Kresser Defense Perspective – LPS – Hastings Law Journal Involuntary Comittment – 1-1-1982 The Cuckoo ‘s Nest Reassessed: Involuntary Commitments in California after Suzuki v. Yuen and Doe v. Gallinot Gretchen O. BurfordLoyola Civil Comittment LPS – 2-1-1974 Civil Commitment of the Mentally Ill in California: The Lanterman-Petris-Short Act Mark Alan Hart Loyola
Involuntary Commitment for Mental Disorder:The Application of California’s Lanterman-Petris-Short Act Carol A. B. Warren Law & Society Review Vol. 11, No. 4 (Spring, 1977), pp. 629-649
Medicare & You - Mental Health
Medicare & Mental Illness # 11358 2 pages
Our webpage on EOC Evidence of Coverage - Plain English, even if they are 2 to 300 pages
Mental Health Videos
- Mental Health Video - updates on Mental Health Parity - Mental Health must be covered the same as physical health
- Video Medicare-covered benefits for mental health.
- PBS Bedlam VIDEO In an effort to get to the bottom of the current mental health crisis in the U.S., psychiatrist and documentarian Kenneth Paul Rosenberg M.D. chronicles personal, poignant stories of those suffering from mental illness, including his own family, to bring to light this epidemic and possible solutions. Shot over the course of five years, Bedlam takes viewers inside Los Angeles County’s overwhelmed and vastly under-resourced psych ER, a nearby jail warehousing thousands of psychiatric patients, and the homes — and homeless encampments — of people affected by severe mental illness, where silence and shame often worsen the suffering. See Trailer Available till October 30th
- Sharp Health Care - Mental Health Videos - Play List
- Mental Health Insurance Coverage: Get the Whole Picture
See our Main Webpage on Mental Health
Hitler & Mental Health - Medicare for All - National Health Care
The T 4 program. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4
Certain German physicians were authorised to select patients "deemed incurably sick, after most critical medical examination" and then administer to them a "mercy death" (Gnadentod).
The T4 programme stemmed from the Nazi Party policy of "racial hygiene", a belief that the German people needed to be cleansed of racial enemies, which included anyone confined to a mental health facility and people with simple physical disabilities.
This poster (from around 1938) reads: "60,000 Reichsmark is what this person suffering from a hereditary defect costs the People's community during his lifetime. Fellow citizen, that is your money too.
Criminal Law Issues
Competence to Stand Trial
- Educational Opportunities for the Incarcerated
- Medical Services
Mental Health Insurance Parity AB 88
Involuntary Committment WIC §3100 et seq
- Drug Abuse
- Jail & Prisons
- Mental Health in Criminal Justice System
- Plea Bargain
- Witness Impreachment
- Gravely Disabled – What exactly is it? Definition? Criteria?
- IMD – Institute for Mental Disease
- Medical Care – Court’s Permission 7 Point Letter
- Murphy Conservatorship
- Probate Regular Conservatorships