Institute for the Mentally Ill (IMD)
Caretakers & Parents
Get a term life quote here, to protect your loved one
IMDs are long term care psychiatric facilities, licensed by State DHS and/or State DMH, that are contracted by DMH to provide care for persons who no longer meet criteria for acute care but are not clinically ready to live in a board and care facility or to live independently.
An IMD is also a locked facility for patients that are higher functioning than a sub-acute level, but still require a locked setting. Again, the PG or family member acts as the conservator, and the patients length of stay is determined by their mental stability and improvement.
“IMD exclusion,” to allow Medicaid in CA Medi Cal to pay for short-term stays of adults ages 21-64 in psychiatric hospitals and facilities.
Note: IMD stands for “Institutions for Mental Disease,” an outdated term that remains in federal law.
Learn More ===>
- Click here for the other 5 levels of care psychcentral.com
- lacounty.gov IMDInformation
- Listing of IMD’s in Los Angeles – Resources Directory
- How to choose a mental health facility
- IMD Training Manual 270 pages
- How to write a personalized treatment plan
- Positive Psychology.com treatment plan
- Rights for Individuals in Mental Health Facilities admitted under LPS
- Mental Health Services Act – CA – Fiscal Year Update 2018 – 2019
- Issues with Private Insurance vs Medi Cal. One can go back on re enroll back to private coverage – Class Action Lawsuit – Kaiser
Therapeutic Pass Request Forms
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
Quote & Subsidy Calculation
Find out your premium with Covered CA
or Direct without Subsidies
Missed Open Enrollment?
See our Special Enrollment page
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage.
Learn more about the right to change plans when Silver Level Enhanced Changes
To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335
Medicare & You - Mental Health
Medicare & Mental Illness # 11358 2 pages
Our webpage on EOC Evidence of Coverage - Plain English, even if they are 2 to 300 pages
Mental Health Videos
- Mental Health Video - updates on Mental Health Parity - Mental Health must be covered the same as physical health
- Video Medicare-covered benefits for mental health.
- PBS Bedlam VIDEO In an effort to get to the bottom of the current mental health crisis in the U.S., psychiatrist and documentarian Kenneth Paul Rosenberg M.D. chronicles personal, poignant stories of those suffering from mental illness, including his own family, to bring to light this epidemic and possible solutions. Shot over the course of five years, Bedlam takes viewers inside Los Angeles County’s overwhelmed and vastly under-resourced psych ER, a nearby jail warehousing thousands of psychiatric patients, and the homes — and homeless encampments — of people affected by severe mental illness, where silence and shame often worsen the suffering. See Trailer Available till October 30th
- Sharp Health Care - Mental Health Videos - Play List
- Mental Health Insurance Coverage: Get the Whole Picture
See our Main Webpage on Mental Health