SHOP – Covered CA for Small Business (CCSB)
As I see it, the main advantages to CCSB:
- Small Biz Health Care Tax Credit, if your average wage is low enough. However, either way you still get the Section §106 Health Insurance Premium Deduction and your employees can get the POP §125 deduction for their contribution.
- Employee ONLY plans, (scroll down) so the wife and kids can get Covered CA subsidies – complementary calculation
SHOP – CCSB plans are ONLY available thru licensed, trained & certified agents. Covered CA Announcement.
SHOP Advantages on HealthCare.gov
- Employees who have dependents seeking subsidy assistance through the individual exchange cannot qualify.
- Spouse/parents enrolled in an employer group ACA qualified plan in most cases disqualifies the subsidy eligibility – Family Glitch – 9.66% Rule
- Most employers do not contribute to the dependent portion of the premium, but because the offer the coverage the dependents technically have “Access” to a ACA qualified plan.
- Dependent coverage is perceived as “unaffordable” to the employee; result = low to no dependent participation
- Why have an employer offer a benefit that is not utilized and unintentionally penalizes??
- Implement an “employee only” plan; dependents do NOT have “Access” thereby receiving subsidies. 9.17.2015 Covered CA Email
- Covered California for small business filed their contract to support this feature.
- If the dependents of your employees qualify for Covered CA subsidies – FREE Quote and Subsidy Calculation and the employer is not contributing, then we need to get you into a SHOP program and write it up as employee only, by NOT selecting dependents on page 3, step 2 question 11 of the SHOP employer application.
- Learn More *
SHOP Covered CA for Small Business Program
Get a Free Quote
Health Coverage #Guide .org
- What Is Group Coverage?
- Is Insurance Required?
- Is Your Business Eligible for Group Coverage?
- Who Is Eligible for Coverage?
- What Do Employers Have to Pay?
Health Care Reform Explained
Kaiser Foundation Cartoon VIDEO
No extra charge for complementary assistance
- Appoint us as your broker
- VIDEO on ARPA Stimulus and more Covered CA Subsidies
- Set Consultation Meeting via Phone, Skype or Zoom
- Get Instant Health Quotes, Subsidy Calculation & Enroll
Videos on how great agents are
Anthem Blue Cross has chosen not to participate in the SHOP Exchange according to the LA Times. Dave Jones CA Insurance Commissioner asked that they not be in the exchange due to excessive rate increase as reported in the LA Times.
Blue Cross will be in the Individual Exchange. Both exchanges allow you to use your own Agent at no extra fee!
I find a disconnect here as Health Care Reform mandates 80% of premiums be paid out in claims. It’s the same MD’s and hospitals that the public and Insurance Companies are using, aren’t they? Does Blue Cross have a better MD’s & Hospitals? Here’s the provider lists. Here’s information on the rising costs.
Even in 1993, we were shocked at Hospital Costs.
Insurance Consumers can get a lot of variety in Cal Choice, a private exchange operating for years. CA had a similar exchange to the SHOP exchange called HIPC – Pac Advantage with 1992 Reforms – AB 1672? that fell apart.
This is an HISTORICAL Page.
See Covered CA for Small Business for current enrollment information.
2016 plans & benefits
SHOP Proposed Regulations Webinar0 8 15 2013
Minimum Value Standard
See the Change,
Aetna, Blue Cross, California Choice – (Private Exchange), UHP, Sharp, Ben E Lect (Self Funded)
Covered-California-SHOP-booklet.8.1.2013 Educational Use ONLY (SHOP Booklet Official Version)
Click here to see Covered CA – SHOP Summary of Benefits 7.2013. I’m not a happy camper with this literature and am hoping something “nicer” comes out soon.
We will post more information, as it becomes available.
Michael Lujan Marketing Director of Covered CA resigns. Sacramento Biz Journal
Pinnacle Claims Management awarded the contract to manage the SHOP Program.
No extra charge to use an Agent! healthcare.gov
While the Federal SHOP has been delayed a year, CA announced recently that everything is up and running.
Insurance Agents and Enrollment Counselors are knowledgeable of both subsidized and non-subsidized health coverage and qualified health plans. They are equipped with the information and expertise needed to assist families and individuals to enroll in coverage. https://apply.coveredca.com/apspahbx/login.portal
Employers can offer two metal tiers per 9.17.2014 1 PM email blast
SHOP delays announcement of what carriers will participate in 2015 californiahealthline.org/
Shop taken offline – must do paper applications
Covered California Suspends Small-Business Online Enrollment to Implement Improvements
Paper Applications Remain the Conventional Enrollment
Vehicle During the SHOP Portal’s Redesign
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — In response to requests for modifications and enhancements to the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) portal, Covered California™ announced today that it is suspending this component of SHOP to implement a series of redesigns. Meanwhile, enrollment in SHOP will continue via the industry standard process of using paper applications.
“The SHOP portal was not meeting the needs of agents or small employers and needed improvements,” said Covered California Executive Director Peter V. Lee. “Taking the portal offline will not affect the paper application process, which has been the preferred enrollment method traditionally used by insurance agents in the small-group market.”
The online portal for SHOP enrollment will go offline today, Feb. 12 and is projected to be back online in the fall of 2014. Small-business owners can continue enrolling in SHOP by calling the SHOP Service Center or working with a Certified Insurance Agent.
Representatives of the SHOP Service Center are available 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday at (877) 453-9198. The Service Center can assist both small-business owners and Certified Insurance Agents with paper application enrollments, along with answering questions about existing applications. To date, the vast majority of SHOP enrollments have been submitted using paper applications.
“Certified Insurance Agents are critical partners in SHOP, and we want to be responsive to their input about improvements to the program, including their feedback that retooling is needed in the SHOP portal,” said Lee. “We are committed to ensuring the smoothest possible enrollment experience, and we believe the new version of the online portal will significantly enhance the enrollment process.”
The new version of the SHOP portal is expected to increase the efficiency of service and allow better management of applications, including determination of eligibility, implementing group changes and issuing invoices.
As of Jan. 31, 2014, 571 groups were enrolled in Covered California’s SHOP, representing 4,490 individuals. SHOP is currently processing an additional 200 group applications, representing 1,200 individuals. Small businesses can enroll in SHOP plans year round.
For more information, please check out our FAQ “What Does Removing the Online SHOP Portal Mean to Agents?” which will be available on CoveredCA.com tomorrow.
is part of Covered California and meets Exchange Requirements of Health Reform. 2015 Coverage announcements.