Certainly the BIG advantage, is lower, more affordable premiums during the year. Plus, you might qualify for Enhanced Silver Benefits! Which lowers Co-Pays, Deductibles and the OOP Out of Pocket Maximum.
IRS.Gov Publication 5120 Take all, some or none of advance subsidies.
Covered CA Brochure – Subsidy NOW or Tax Time?
Explanation of Advance Premium Tax Credit –
Take Credit now or later
Related Pages in Tax Credit and FAQ Section
1095 A – Proof of Coverage from Covered CA – shows amount of tax credit you rec’d during the year, that was paid to the Insurance Company to reduce premiums.
CHCF What is the premium tax credit?
Publication 5121 –Need help paying for health insurance premiums? English
- Credit APTC at tax time if not requested when you enroll?
- Tax Loss – Negative MAGI Income – Medi Cal? Subsidies?
Three Tax Considerations during Covered CA Open Enrollment
- Advance credit payments lower premiums – You can choose to have all, some, or none of your estimated credit paid in advance directly to your insurance company on your behalf to lower what you pay out-of-pocket for your monthly premiums. These payments are called advance payments of the premium tax credit (APTC) or advance credit payments. If you do not get advance credit payments, you will be responsible for paying the full monthly premium.
- Possible SNAFU’s – Insurance Company asking for excess credits back… OC Register 7.27.2016
- A tax return may be required – If you received the benefit of advance credit payments, you must file a tax return to reconcile the amount of advance credit payments made on your behalf with the amount of your actual premium tax credit. You must file an income tax return for this purpose even if you are otherwise not required to file a return.
- Credit can be claimed at tax time – If you choose not to get advance credit payments, or get less than the full amount in advance, you can claim the full benefit of the premium tax credit that you are allowed when you file your tax return. This will increase your refund or lower the amount of tax that you would otherwise owe.
Questions and Answers on IRS.gov/ca for information about the premium tax credit.
- H & R Block
- Estimate the Subsidy for Health Insurance, benefits, premiums, etc.
- 8962 ONLINE Calculator