California Tenants Rights
Governor Newsom orders delay – Los Angeles votes down blanket ban LA Times 3.27.2020
Landlords finding a way to demand rent LA Times 4.5.2020
New law allows tenants to sue landlords over restrictions on evictions LA Times May 6, 2020
Links & References
to our web pages
S 3548 CARES Act on Congress.Gov
Medicare Eligible – Did you get laid off from Employer Plan?
- Can you postpone Part A enrollment if you are covered under a Employer Group Plan?
- Early Retirement – What Health Insurance?
- Employer Group Coverage then Medicare
- Medicare – Dual Coverage – Subrogation
- Part B Late Enrollment Penalty
CA Tenants Rights
California Courts Self Help Site on Evictions – Including “Fillable” Forms
Rental Housing Online – Forms
Notice Requirements for Lease Violations
A landlord can also evict a tenant for violating the lease or rental agreement. As soon as the landlord is aware of a lease violation, such as having a pet when none are allowed, then the landlord can give the tenant a three-day notice to perform or quit. This notice gives the tenant three days to come into compliance with the lease or rental agreement or move out of the rental unit. If the tenant does not correct the lease violation within the three days, then the landlord can file an eviction lawsuit with the court (see Cal. Code of Civ. Proc. § 1161(3)).
In some circumstances, such as tenant drug dealing, the landlord can give the tenant an unconditional three-day notice to quit which does not give the tenant the alternative of stopping his or her misbehavior. Tenant Defenses to Evictions – Nolo Press
Warning: This information may not apply to your situation and it is NOT legal advice. Please talk to a lawyer about your case.
LA County Will Waive Late Penalties
Many of you have expressed concerns about the property tax deadline this Friday. While existing law does not allow counties to postpone the payment, the LA County Treasurer and Tax Collector offers the following assistance:
- Los Angeles County property owners affected by COVID-19 can request that penalties be cancelled if they are unable to pay their property taxes by the April 10 deadline.
- Beginning this Saturday, April 11, if you are unable to pay on time, you can submit a penalty waiver request.
- You can also visit the LA County Treasurer and Tax Collector website, to review payment methods and several other online self-service options.
If you need additional assistance, please contact my district office at (562) 429-0470.
Assemblymember, 70th Assembly District
CA Department of Real Estate Publications
- Quick Guide for Landlords Hiring a Property Manager Landlord Brochure 14-264
- Quick Guide for Tenants Renting a Home Tenant Brochure 14-264
- A Homeowner’s Guide to Foreclosure in California #RE 15 (New 7/10)
Useful information for homeowners in financial distress who live in their homes.
- Financial Sense to White Picket Fence #RE 18
This brochure provides helpful hints and tips relating to real estate financial literacy.
Child Pages & Site Map
Eviction Process – Video[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBQEpQpsIHE]