Calif. State Disability Coverage ( #SDI )
How SDI works
SDI provides affordable, short-term benefits to eligible workers who suffer a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a NON WORK-RELATED illness, injury, or a medically disabling condition from pregnancy or childbirth. Check out Worker’s Compensation if you were injured on the job. To learn more, scroll down and check out the official EDD brochure on SDI provisions # DE 2515
If you would like to get extra private coverage to pay in addition to SDI, here’s our webpage on private Disability Business owners can opt in to get SDI, scroll down for SDI for Biz Owners information.
When your SDI benefits run out you might try filing for Social Security -SSI, SSDI
- About Disability Insurance
- Disability Insurance Claim Process
- Am I Eligible for DI Benefits?
- Types of Claims (e.g. Pregnancy, Bonding, Care)
How to File a Claim
- Options to File for DI Benefits (Online or by Mail)
- How to File a DI Claim in SDI Online
- How to File a DI Claim by Mail
- After You File for DI: Claim Processing
DI Fraud Investigations?
Voluntary SDI Plans?
Save $$$ Better Benefits
How does SDI State Disability Work?
SDI Brochure #DE2515
Related Web Pages
- Calculate your Personal Disability Quotient (PDQ) chances of being disabled and how much income loss there might be?
- Broad Ridge Advisors Tool
- Income Needs
- Chances of Becoming Disabled Quiz
- Social Security Administration – Estimate Your Potential Benefit Disability & Retirement Benefit
- whats my Earned Income Quotient.org How much might you earn in your future?
- Our webpages on:
Steve on Disability Income Protection
- Email [email protected]
- Statistics from Disability Can Happen.org
- Our other Webpages on Disability & Unemployment Coverage
If you’re on SDI State Disability Insurance
Sorry but The American Rescue Plan ARPA Our Main ARPA webpage * nor the #CARES Act provide the
extra $300 or $600/week if you are collecting SDI State Disability Insurance
You Must be ready able and willing to work!
Why can’t you get SDI & the extra stimulus payment for unemployment?
I researched, googled & googled and looked & looked & don’t find anything to support one getting SDI to be able to get the additional $300/week under ARPA Guidance * ABC 10 * nor the prior $600/week PUA Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – FAQ’s uc.pa.gov/FPUC-FAQs see the footnotes in our research below for more detail. We are not authorized to approve or deny claims from any Insurance Company, State or Federal Authority.
The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020 provides for a temporary emergency increase in unemployment compensation (UC) benefits, referred to as the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program.
This program provides an eligible individual with $600 per week on top of the weekly benefit amount he or she receives from certain other UC programs. An individual must first be eligible for UC benefits to qualify for the additional $600 per week in benefits.
Individuals don’t need to do anything extra to receive the $600. Continue to file biweekly claims – benefits will be automatically updated. uc.pa.gov/FPUC-FAQs
One must be eligible to actually receive at least a nominal amount of regular UC unemployment compensation benefits to be eligible to receive the $600 payment:
ii. If the individual is eligible to receive at least one dollar ($1) of underlying benefits for the claimed week, the claimant will receive the full $600 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation FPUC. Guidance 4.4.2020 15-20 * Littler.com
Individuals are only entitled to extra benefits, namely the $600 payment, if they are “no longer working through no fault of their own” and if they are “able and available to work.” employment law letter
The PUA benefits are also payable for certain people that normally don’t qualify for regular UI Unemployment benefits in California or another state and also do not qualify for State Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. Namely,
SDI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy. Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70 percent of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week. https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/workers.htm
SDI appears to pay much more than unemployment!
Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit calculator will provide you with an estimate of your weekly UI benefit amount, which can range from $40 to $450 per week. borowitzclark.com/california-unemployment/ https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/UI-Calculator.htm
Might you be disabled for a long time, over a year? Check out SSDI Social Security Disability Income.
Check out our other webpages on this topic
- Might your disability go in indefinitely – SDI – SSDI
- Be sure to review our FAQ’s below.
That's why the premium is very low or ZERO!
- Set a phone or Skype Meeting
- #Intake Form - We can better prepare for the meeting
- HMO - Narrow Networks?
- Do I just sign up with a Medicare Advantage Company and automatically get * Parts A & B or do I have to get those from Medicare.Gov * VIDEO
- Get Quotes, Full Information and Enroll
- MANDATED wording!: Think Advisor * ‘‘We do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information we provide is limited to those plans we do offer in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov or 1–800–MEDICARE to get information on all of your options.’’
- We disagree with the above wording, as we can use the same tools on Medicare.gov as they do!
- FYI a 4.27.2022 HHS Office of the Inspector General report found that MAPD plans denied 13% of prior authorizations that would have been covered under original Medicare (Conversely, Medi Gap, just follows what Medicare pays.)
- 88% of MAPD enrollees are happy
MAPD plans often include Dental & Part D - Rx Prescriptions and often have NO premiums! How is that possible? The Federal Government pays them around $700/month to handle your medical care. You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium of about $170/month. It's best to apply when you turn 65 for the supplement plans or advantage plans, as that's the main "Open Enrollment" period, guaranteed issue for any plan.
Medicare Advantage Plans also have an annual open enrollment now known as AEP Annual Election Period October 7 to December 15th.
Additional Coverage is important as Medical Bills are increasing Seniors Credit Card Debt or leading to possible bankruptcy?
Los Angeles Times - Introductory Article on Unemployment 7.5.2022
- See our webpage on
- SDI State Disability Benefits - How to apply
- Covered CA MAGI Income Unemployment ***** SDI
- Get Quote for Private Disability
- CA & Federal Paid Family Leave
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- EDD - No Storefront Offices - Mass Shootings - Efficiency - Not Covid
- New laws for January 2022 faster service, prevent fraud LA Times 10.5.2022
- You should file for regular UC if you have an employer and you have been laid off, or your hours have been reduced through no fault of your own, or you cannot work because a medical or public official has directed you to quarantine or self-isolate because of COVID-19 exposure, symptoms, or a positive diagnosis; or you are caring for someone who is suspected of having or has tested positive for COVID-19.
SDI and Long Term Disability MAGI Income Taxable ?
Your DI benefits are taxable only if you receive DI benefits in place of UI Unemployment Insurance benefits. In this case, your DI benefits are considered a substitution for your UI benefits, which are taxable. Federal Tax Regulation Section 1.85-1
Thus, if you can’t work because of a disability and receive disability benefits, those benefits are not taxable.
Learn More ⇒ edd.ca.gov/
Federal Unemployment ends Labor Day Weekend 2021 NBC.com *
- Information Sheet de 231 ec – 2 pages pdf
- Forms & Publications
- Sales Pamphlet #2565 DI Elective Coverage
- Pays up to 39 weeks – appears to pay as much as SDI for employees
- Weekly Benefit Amounts # de2589
- Calculating Benefit Amounts
- Enrollment Application #1378di 4 pages pdf
- Coverage can be denied if you are currently unable to do the duties of your regular job edd.gov
- For information call EDD @ 916-654-6288 – we don’t get compensated to help you with EDD.
- If you want our assistance – consulting fee – click here.
- See our webpage on Private Disability Coverage – where you can get higher and longer paying benefits.
Private Disability Insurance
Links & Resources
- Disability can Happen.org * Blog *
- Where did your paycheck go - living confidently.com/protect-your-paycheck learn more about disability.
- About Disability Insurance.com
- Other stories from Life-Happens.org
- Disability Can Happen.org
- Disability Insurance 101 Six Page pdf
- defend your income.org/ ♦
Disability Buy – Sell
- Disability Benefits cannot be liened against, garnished or taken in Bankruptcy ( CCP §704.130, CA JCC Form EJ 155, CA Claim of Exemption Info.,)
- Guaranteed-Issue Multi-Life Disability Insurance Petersen
- Other Coverage’s to pay for various types of Disability
- Mental Health Resources – Essential Benefit
- 106. (a) Disability Definition CA Insurance Code
- "health insurance" specified disease insurance workers' compensation Long-term care.
- Art Fries claim advise can help you
- Disability Concepts.com - Gerry Katz - Disabilty Claim Consultant
- Top 10 Disability Claim Mistakes LA Times.com
- long term disability lawyer.com FAQs
- Covid - Long Haulers - Frustration
- BROKER ONLY
- Enrollment Form
- Be sure to add our Broker Information or email [email protected] the form to us
- Rate Chart
- VIDEO Explanation on True Freedom Plan
- The Long Road Ahead Video
- The application disclaimers
- True Freedom website, but be sure to enroll with us!
"Prepaid Home Health Care?"
Watch 3 minute simple plain English Video