How SDI works
SDI pays some of your wages if you can’t work. CA law requires the coverage and is funded through your payroll deductions. SDI provides affordable, short-term benefits to eligible workers who suffer a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a NON WORK-RELATED illness or injury, (otherwise check out Worker’s Compensation) or a medically disabling condition from pregnancy or childbirth.
Or to say it another way, Disability Insurance (DI) provides short-term benefits to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
How to File a Claim
EDD Employers Guide 100 Pages
Disability Benefits 101 on SDI
Voluntary SDI Plans?
Save $$$ Better Benefits
How does SDI State Disability Work?
SDI Brochure #DE2515
Related Web Pages
If you’re on SDI State Disability Insurance
Sorry but The American Rescue Plan ARPA Our Main ARPA webpage * nor the #CARES Act provide the
extra $300 or $600/week if you are collecting SDI State Disability Insurance
You Must be ready able and willing to work!
Why can’t you get SDI & the extra stimulus payment for unemployment?
I researched, googled & googled and looked & looked & don’t find anything to support one getting SDI to be able to get the additional $300/week under ARPA Guidance * ABC 10 * nor the prior $600/week PUA Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – FAQ’s uc.pa.gov/FPUC-FAQs see the footnotes in our research below for more detail. We are not authorized to approve or deny claims from any Insurance Company, State or Federal Authority.
The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020 provides for a temporary emergency increase in unemployment compensation (UC) benefits, referred to as the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program.
This program provides an eligible individual with $600 per week on top of the weekly benefit amount he or she receives from certain other UC programs. An individual must first be eligible for UC benefits to qualify for the additional $600 per week in benefits.
Individuals don’t need to do anything extra to receive the $600. Continue to file biweekly claims – benefits will be automatically updated. uc.pa.gov/FPUC-FAQs
One must be eligible to actually receive at least a nominal amount of regular UC unemployment compensation benefits to be eligible to receive the $600 payment:
ii. If the individual is eligible to receive at least one dollar ($1) of underlying benefits for the claimed week, the claimant will receive the full $600 Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation FPUC. Guidance 4.4.2020 15-20 * Littler.com
Individuals are only entitled to extra benefits, namely the $600 payment, if they are “no longer working through no fault of their own” and if they are “able and available to work.” employment law letter
The PUA benefits are also payable for certain people that normally don’t qualify for regular UI Unemployment benefits in California or another state and also do not qualify for State Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. Namely,
SDI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy. Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70 percent of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week. https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/workers.htm
SDI appears to pay much more than unemployment!
Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefit calculator will provide you with an estimate of your weekly UI benefit amount, which can range from $40 to $450 per week. borowitzclark.com/california-unemployment/ https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/UI-Calculator.htm
Might you be disabled for a long time, over a year? Check out SSDI Social Security Disability Income.
Check out our other webpages on this topic
- Might your disability go in indefinitely – SDI – SSDI
- Be sure to review our FAQ’s below.
That's why the premium is very low or ZERO!
- See our webpage on benefits, how to file, no waiting period, extra $600 for unemployment - coronavirus
- SDI State Disability Benefits - How to apply
- Covered CA MAGI Income Unemployment ***** SDI
- Get Quote for Private Disability
- CA & Federal Paid Family Leave
- EDD COVID 19 FAQ's
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- EDD - No Storefront Offices - Mass Shootings - Efficiency - Not Covid
- New laws for January 2022 faster service, prevent fraud LA Times 10.5.2022
- You should file for regular UC if you have an employer and
you have been laid off, or
- your hours have been reduced through no fault of your own, or
- you cannot work because a medical or public official has directed you to quarantine or self-isolate because of COVID-19 exposure, symptoms, or a positive diagnosis; or
- you are caring for someone who is suspected of having or has tested positive for COVID-19.
SDI and Long Term Disability Taxable ?
Your DI benefits are taxable only if you receive DI benefits in place of UI Unemployment Insurance benefits. In this case, your DI benefits are considered a substitution for your UI benefits, which are taxable. Federal Tax Regulation Section 1.85-1
Thus, if you can’t work because of a disability and receive disability benefits, those benefits are not taxable.
Learn More ⇒ edd.ca.gov/
Federal Unemployment ends Labor Day Weekend 2021 NBC.com *
- Enrollment Form
- Be sure to add our Broker Information or email [email protected] the form to us
- Rate Chart
- VIDEO Explanation on True Freedom Plan
- The Long Road Ahead Video
- The application disclaimers
- True Freedom website, but be sure to enroll with us!
"Prepaid Home Health Care?"
Watch 3 minute simple plain English Video
Private Disability Insurance
Links & Resources
Where did your paycheck go - living confidently.com/protect-your-paycheck learn more about disability.
Our webpage on SDI - State Disability Coverage
About Disability Insurance.com
Disability Insurance 101 Six Page pdf
Disability Buy – Sell
State Teachers Retirement System
Disability and Survivor Benefits
Art Fries claim advise can help you
Top 10 Disability Claim Mistakes LA Times.com
Law Help.org Disability
Mortgage Loan.com on buying a home for people with Disabilities.
- Broad Ridge Advisors Tool
- Income Needs
- Chances of Becoming Disabled Quiz
- Social Security Administration – Estimate Your Potential Benefit Disability & Retirement Benefit
- whats my Earned Income Quotient.org How much might you earn in your future?
- Our webpages on:
Related, Child & Sibling Pages in Disability Income Section
- SDI State Disability Insurance – Taxable? Not Eligible for COVID unemployment stimulus