Continuity of Care
Keep same doctors even if you change Insurance Plans or Networks…
Continuity of care
Continuity of care with a Non-Participating Provider may be available if your provider leaves the Blue Shield network, or if you are a newly-covered Member whose previous health plan was withdrawn from the market.
You can request to continue treatment with your Non-Participating Provider in the situations described above if you are currently receiving the following care:
Ongoing treatment for an acute or serious chronic condition;
Pregnancy care, including care immediately after giving birth;
Treatment for a terminal illness;
Other services authorized by a now-terminated provider as part of a documented course of treatment; or
Care for a child up to 36 months old.
The Non-Participating Provider Finder must agree to accept Blue Shield’s Allowed Charges as payment in full for your ongoing care. If the provider agrees and your request is authorized, you may continue to see the Non-Participating Provider at the Participating Provider Cost Share for:
See the Your payment information section for more information about the Allowed Charges.
Continuity of Care
For people who buy their own insurance and have to switch plans because their insurer is pulling up stakes, the Hernandez bill would require the new plan to cover treatment by the same physicians, even if they are not in the new insurer’s network.
The provision would apply for enrollees under treatment for a chronic, acute or terminal illness, and in cases of pregnancy. The coverage would be contingent on the doctor accepting the payment offered by the new health plan, and the insurer would have to continue covering the services of that provider for up to one year. The coverage could extend beyond a year if the patient were terminally ill.
Similar protections already exist for people with job-based insurance policies that are under the purview of state regulators. CA Healthline
Blue Shield Flyer on Continuity of care
LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL’S DIGEST
… Existing law requires a health care service plan and a health insurer that provides services at alternative rates of payment, at the request of an enrollee or insured, to provide the completion of services by a terminated provider if the enrollee or insured is undergoing a course of treatment for one of any specified conditions, including a serious chronic condition… Existing law also requires a health care service plan to provide for the completion of covered services by a nonparticipating provider to a newly covered enrollee who, at the time his or her coverage became effective, was receiving services from that provider for one of any specified conditions. Existing law prohibits completion of covered services for a serious chronic condition from exceeding 12 months from the contract termination date or 12 months from the effective date of coverage for a newly covered enrollee or insured. Existing law requires a health care service plan to provide a disclosure form regarding the benefits, services, and terms of a plan contract and requires the disclosure form to include a description of how an enrollee can request continuity of care under the provisions described above.
This bill would provide that an enrollee or insured who has a condition that will require a transplant is not limited by the 12-month period described above and would require the completion of covered services to be provided for the duration of the condition and until the time he or she undergoes the transplant surgery and receives the necessary followup care that is consistent with good professional practice.
Continuity of Care?
California Bill AB 369 requires a health plan, at the request of a newly covered enrollee under an individual contract, or a health insurer at the request of a new covered insured under an individual insurance policy, to arrange for the completion of covered services by a non-participating provider for one of the conditions specified in existing law, if the new covered enrollee or insure meets both of the following:
- Had coverage that was terminated between December 1, 203 and March 31, 2014, inclusive because the plan or insurer ceased to provide or arrange health benefits or the plan or insurer withdrew from the market; and,
- At the time coverage became effective, the newly covered enrollee or insured was receiving services from that provider for one of the specified condition. healthnet pulse.com
Blue Cross information and form to request continuity of care
10133.56. (a) A health insurer that enters into a contract with a professional or institutional provider to provide services at alternative rates of payment pursuant to Section 10133 shall, at the request of an insured, arrange for the completion of covered services by a terminated provider, if the insured is undergoing a course of treatment for any of the following conditions:
(1) An acute condition. An acute condition is a medical condition that involves a sudden onset of symptoms due to an illness, injury, or other medical problem that requires prompt medical attention and that has a limited duration. Completion of covered services shall be provided for the duration of the acute condition.
(2) A serious chronic condition. A serious chronic condition is a medical condition due to a disease, illness, or other medical problem or medical disorder that is serious in nature and that persists without full cure or worsens over an extended period of time or requires ongoing treatment to maintain remission or prevent deterioration. Completion of covered services shall be provided for a period of time necessary to complete a course of treatment and to arrange for a safe transfer to another provider, as determined by the health insurer in consultation with the insured and the terminated provider and consistent with good professional practice. Completion of covered services under this paragraph shall not exceed 12 months from the contract termination date.
(3) A pregnancy. A pregnancy is the three trimesters of pregnancy and the immediate postpartum period. Completion of covered services shall be provided for the duration of the pregnancy.
(4) A terminal illness. A terminal illness is an incurable or irreversible condition that has a high probability of causing death within one year or less. Completion of covered services shall be provided for the duration of a terminal illness, which may exceed 12 months from the contract termination date.
(5) The care of a newborn child between birth and age 36 months. Completion of covered services under this paragraph shall not exceed 12 months from the contract termination date.
(6) Performance of a surgery or other procedure that has been recommended and documented by the provider to occur within 180 days of the contract’s termination date.
Laws may change FASTER than we can keep up. Be sure to visit the State of CA website on Insurance Law, before using anything in a citation.
Medicare Advantage Plans in 2015 will allow you to opt out if the MD Network is significantly changed.
medicare-advantage-plans/#comment-11065 carriers have been notifying clients if during the year a provider chooses to cancel their HMO contract since those folks have to pick a new PCP
FYI Health Net Forms
Transition of Care
- Set up a phone, skype or face to face consultation
- Tools - Calculator to help you figure out how much you should get
Life Insurance Buyers Guide
How much life insurance you really need?
- Life Screening Form
- Set up a phone, Zoom, skype or face to face consultation
Covered CA Certified Agent
No extra charge for complementary assistance
- Appoint us as your broker
- VIDEO on ARPA Stimulus and more Covered CA Subsidies
- Set Consultation Meeting via Phone, Skype or Zoom
- Instant Health Quotes, Subsidy Calculation & Enroll
Videos on how great agents are
Enrolling in health plans has helped people focus on their families and careers, and feel protected against unexpected medical issues.
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
Quote & Subsidy Calculation
Find out your premium with Covered CA
or Direct without Subsidies
Missed Open Enrollment?
See our Special Enrollment page
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage.
Learn more about the right to change plans when Silver Level Enhanced Changes
To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335