The Grace period under Health Care Reform is:
Grace period for recipients of advance payments of the premium tax credit.
A QHP Qualified Health Plan issuer must provide a grace period of three consecutive months if an enrollee receiving advance payments of the premium tax credit has previously paid at least one full month's premium during the benefit year. 45 CFR 156.270 (d
Full payment is required to keep coverage in force
If any of your clients find themselves in a grace period situation, make sure they understand that making partial payments on the debt will not serve to extend the coverage period, stretch out the grace period or delay cancellation. After they’re notified about premiums overdue, they must pay the full amount owed before their grace period ends to avoid losing their coverage.
See if you are lucky and can find a special enrollment reason to re-enroll for coverage
• Pay Online – Clients can go to anthem.com/ca, log into their account and click on the Pay My Bill Online link
• Pay By Mail – Clients can mail their invoice with payment. They must mail in time for us to get it on or before the last day of the grace period.
• Pay By Phone – Clients can call the number on the back of their member ID card to use our free Auto Pay Phone Service. Or, they can call Member Services at (855) 634-3381 to pay by credit card or check.
Consequences of cancellation
Once a member is terminated for non-payment, they cannot be reinstated.
In the past, as an agent, we would get late notices, now we don’t or rarely do. So, read up, email us and let’s see what we can do to keep coverage in force for when you need it and avoid tax penalties, bankruptcy or not getting the medical treatment you need – 10 essential benefits.
Clients need to know that cancellation for not paying premiums can have serious consequences. Here’s what happens if they lose their coverage:
• They will still owe unpaid premiums for the first month of their grace period
• They will still owe providers for any health care services they got during the second and third months of the grace period
Cancellation for Non-Pay – won’t be a qualifying event either!!!
If you own a business – a group plan.
Related, Child Pages & Site Map
- Automatic Premium Payments – Benefits and Advantages
- Grace Periods – How long? Premiums Due? Subsidy Pay Back?
- Out of Country – No $$$
- Pay ALL premiums – even if you lose subsidy
- Paying Back Premiums to get reinstated?
- Reinstatement – Find other coverage?
- Was the cancellation legal? Web Visitor Q & A
Health Insurance Premiums - ExplainedHealth Insurance Premiums - Explained
Sample Appeal Letter – Missed Payment