Can Medi-Cal MAGI income
qualification be based monthly rather annual MAGI as Covered CA Subsidies are?
Medi-Cal determines eligibility based on monthly, not annual income.
Thus, even you you make $100k per year, but have a month with no income, you would qualify. This can even get you around the Open and Special Enrollment restrictions. That is, if you have a bad month, enroll, then when you get kicked out of Medi-Cal for making too much money, thank G-d, you have a special enrollment into Covered CA or direct with an Insurance Company. No extra charge for us to help you enroll in Covered CA! Insure Me Kevin.com * Western Poverty Law * DHCS ACWDLS * 2015 Medi-Cal Eligibility Division Information Letters (MEDILs) * 15-03 *
Plain English from Covered CA Broker Department Email
In regards to Medi-cal, they review monthly income.
So if a client has been making $2000 a month and they do a report a change and it goes now to $1000 a month for 1 person, they will now be eligible for medi-cal.
If the income goes back up to $2000 a month, they contact [report a change] Medi-cal and they are dis-enrolled from medi-cal and now are eligible for Covered CA. Response By Email (Argelia) (09/08/2016 11:56 AM)
Our website is MUCH more than just
Pro Bono helping you with Medi-Cal
We've developed the Medi-Cal portion of our website, as many of our Covered CA clients unfortunately end up here, if their income drops below 133% of FPL, Federal Poverty Level, see the income chart.
We do not get a nickel, for this site or for helping people enroll in Medi-Cal, nor answering complex questions. When you have other questions or need coverage, take a look at our other websites:
#Report changes as they happen - within 30 days!
10 days for Medi Cal
- Our VIDEO on how to report changes to Covered CA
- Lost your job? How to keep your Health Insurance. Shelter at Home VIDEO
- References & Links
- Visit our webpage on how to report changes
- Medi Cal Explained CHCF
- 10 Essential Health Benefits
- Our Webpage onMedi Cal Benefits
- Western Poverty Law - Exact Legal Rules on Coverage for Low Income Californian's
Our Webpage on
Covered CA Certified Agent
No extra charge if you qualify for Covered CA Subsidies.
We don’t get compensated to help you with Medi Cal. Here’s Medi-Cal’s contact information.
Get a Covered CA Quote, including subsidy calculation
Video on why you should have an agent
Life Insurance Buyers Guide
How much life insurance you really need?
- Life Screening Form
- Set up a phone, Zoom, skype or face to face consultation
Child Pages, Links & References
LA County.Gov Income Chart – It’s all monthly amounts!
Related Pages inSection
- Effective Date? Temporary Instant ID Card
- Mistake – Dealing through 3rd Parties – What counts as MAGI?
- Monthly or Annual Income Qualification for Medi Cal
- Notification when you make too much $$$ for Medi-Cal
- Premiums for Medi-Cal?
- Release Medi-Cal get Covered CA