The American Rescue Plan ARPA extends expanded unemployment benefits with a supplemental weekly payment of $300 through September 6, 2021. These supplemental UIB payments are counted as income for determining eligibility for Covered California programs but are not counted as income for determining eligibility for Medi-Cal programs (including both MAGI and non-MAGI programs). Covered CA CARES Act webpage. * ARPA Broker FAQ *
For 2020 if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000, up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation is excluded from gross income. IRS Publication 525 *
Income vs Expense Deductions – how it might mess you up for subsidies – visit Insure Me Kevin.com to learn more.
The tax treatment of unemployment benefits you receive depends on the type of program paying the benefits.
- Exclusion from income tax on a portion of unemployment compensation for 2020.
- Types of unemployment compensation.
- Governmental program.
- Repayment of unemployment compensation.
- Tax withholding.
- Supplemental unemployment benefits.
- Repayment of benefits.
- Private unemployment fund.
- Payments by a union.
- Guaranteed annual wage.
- State employees.
Our web pages on
#Report changes as they happen - within 30 days!
10 days for Medi Cal
Our webpage on ARPA & Unemployment Benefits - Silver 94
- Our VIDEO on how to report changes to Covered CA
- Lost your job? How to keep your Health Insurance. Shelter at Home VIDEO
- References & Links
- Here's instructions.
- Our opinion & short cut * 6 pages of questions - way too complicated, easy to mess it up, lose subsidies and/or go into Medi-Cal - Just give the bottom line in MAGI Household Income
- If you've appointed us - instructions - as your broker, no extra charge, we can do it for you.
- Voter Registration
- Task Guide Phone - Voter Registration
- Denial of benefits and possible criminal charges if you don't report changes in income!
- Visit our webpage on how to report changes
- See our webpage on benefits, how to file, no waiting period, extra $600 for unemployment - coronavirus
- SDI State Disability Benefits - How to apply
- Covered CA MAGI Income Unemployment ***** SDI
- Get Quote for Private Disability
- CA & Federal Paid Family Leave
- EDD COVID 19 FAQ's
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- EDD - No Storefront Offices - Mass Shootings - Efficiency - Not Covid
No extra charge for complementary assistance
- Appoint us as your broker
- VIDEO on ARPA Stimulus and more Covered CA Subsidies
- Set Consultation Meeting via Phone, Skype or Zoom
- Get Instant Health Quotes, Subsidy Calculation & Enroll
Videos on how great agents are
Our web pages on
- Disability FAQs
- SDI State Disability Insurance
- Ideas to make more $$$
- MORE Social Services – In Addition to Medi-Cal
Resources & Links
For Your Benefit: California’s Programs for the Unemployed (DE 2320) Provides information on UI, DI, PFL, and Job Service benefits available to the employee.
Disability Insurance Provisions (DE 2515) This brochure outlines the DI program.
Paid Family Leave (DE 2511) This brochure outlines the DI program.