What are the Guaranteed Issue Rules for when you are
new to Medicare as you’ve turned 65?
Here’s Blue Shield rule from their Guaranteed Issue Guide:
When’s the best time to buy a Medi Gap policy?
The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap Guaranteed Issue Open Enrollment Period. This period lasts for 6 months and begins on the first day of the month in which you’re both 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare Part B. Publication 02110 Page 14 & 45
This is just a summary of the most common ways you can get a Medi Gap plan without having to answer health questions.
- Enrolled in Medicare and are age 65 or older; or New to Medicare, are age 64 or younger, and do not have end-stage renal disease
- You enrolled with A Medicare Advantage Plan and the plan is being terminated;
- terminated from any employer-sponsored health plan,
- moved outside the plan’s service area.
- disenrolled from the plan or program within twelve (12) months of the effective date of that enrollment.
- You terminated enrollment in a Medicare Supplement plan and subsequently enrolled, for the first time, in any of the following:
• A Medicare Advantage Plan;
- MAPD Trial Privileges #02110 Medi-Gap Guide
- The company substantially violated a material provision of the contract; or
- The company or its agent materially misrepresented a provision of the plan in marketing the contract to you.
- You enrolled in a Blue Shield Medicare Advantage Plan, and Blue Shield either:
Reduced any of its benefits;
Increased the amount of cost-sharing or premium;
- You are no longer eligible for Medi-Cal benefits.
- Birthday Rule
Get more detail at:
Scroll down for our cut & paste of the ACTUAL CA Law
Video Introduction to Medi Gap
Under 65 coverage and converting to Medicare?