What are the Guaranteed Issue Rules for when you are
new to Medicare as you’ve turned 65?
Or just enrolled in Part B?
Here’s Blue Shield rule from their Guaranteed Issue Guide:
When’s the best time to buy a Medi Gap policy?
The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap Guaranteed Issue Open Enrollment Period. This period lasts for 6 months and begins on the first day of the month in which you’re both 65 or older and enrolled in Medicare Part B. Publication 02110 Page 14 & 45
This is just a summary of the most common ways you can get a Medi Gap plan without having to answer health questions.
- Enrolled in Medicare and are age 65 or older; or New to Medicare, are age 64 or younger, and do not have end-stage renal disease
- You enrolled with A Medicare Advantage Plan and the plan is being terminated;
- terminated from any employer-sponsored health plan,
- moved outside the plan’s service area.
- disenrolled from the plan or program within twelve (12) months of the effective date of that enrollment.
- You terminated enrollment in a Medicare Supplement plan and subsequently enrolled, for the first time, in any of the following:
• A Medicare Advantage Plan;
- MAPD Trial Privileges #02110 Medi-Gap Guide
- The company substantially violated a material provision of the contract; or
- The company or its agent materially misrepresented a provision of the plan in marketing the contract to you.
- You enrolled in a Blue Shield Medicare Advantage Plan, and Blue Shield either:
Reduced any of its benefits;
Increased the amount of cost-sharing or premium;
- You are no longer eligible for Medi-Cal benefits.
- Birthday Rule
Get more detail at:
- CA Health Care Advocates
- Federal Choosing a Medi Gap Policy #02110
- Guaranteed Acceptance Guide Blue Shield
On some pages you can Scroll down for our cut & paste of the ACTUAL CA Law